J. Bernard Schmidt Scholarship - Instructions
Criteria for Selection:
Students taking courses as part of a degree program at Dixon University Center and who demonstrate financial need.
The Board of Directors of the University Center at Harrisburg, Inc., a private not-for-profit corporation, established the scholarship fund and the selection criteria in 1991 as a benefit to those undergraduate and graduate students with financial need who are taking classes at Dixon University Center. Scholarships are offered three times a year: Fall semester (two $1,000 scholarships); Spring semester (two $1,000 scholarships), and Summer semester (one $1,000 scholarship).
- Matriculated in degree program offered at the Dixon University Center:
- Undergraduate students must have completed 12 credits in that program of study.
- Graduate students must have completed six credits in that program of study.
- Responsible for own tuition payment. Persons receiving 50% or more tuition assistance that do not require repayment, such as grants, other scholarships and employer funds, are not eligible for this award.
- Maintenance of an acceptable grade point average.
- Undergraduate students must have a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Graduate students must have a minimum 3.5 GPA
- Completed application form including essay portion of the application. (You may submit the form via email submit button or mail to the address below. You will receive an email confirmation for electronically submitted applications.)
- Two reference forms from individuals other than family.
- Official college transcript - send a sealed copy of you official transcript via mail to:
Dixon University Center
Attn: Katie Riley
2986 North Second Street
Harrisburg, PA 17110
Basis of Award:
After establishment of eligibility, a committee of the Board will review all applicants and make awards based upon their determination of students’ financial needs and likely contribution to the Capital Region community.
- Fall Awards (two $1,000 scholarships)
Scholarship application must be received by November 15 for classes held August through December of the current year.
- Spring Awards (two $1,000 scholarships)
Scholarship application must be received by April 15 for classes held January through May of the current year.
- Summer Awards (one $1,000 scholarship)
Scholarship application must be received by August 1 for classes held May through August of the current year.
Two reference forms are required from individuals other than family. One reference should come from either a current supervisor or college/university professor. Please forward this link for completion and submission.
Continuing Education Manager
Dixon University Center
Scholarship recipients will be notified by email and by mail.