J. Bernard Schmidt Scholarship - Instructions
Criteria for Selection:
Students taking courses as part of a degree program at Dixon University Center and who demonstrate financial need.
The Board of Directors of the University Center at Harrisburg, Inc., a private not-for-profit corporation, established the scholarship fund and the selection criteria in 1991 as a benefit to those undergraduate and graduate students with financial need who are taking classes at Dixon University Center. Scholarships are offered three times a year: Fall semester (two $1,000 scholarships); Spring semester (two $1,000 scholarships), and Summer semester (one $1,000 scholarship).
- Matriculated in degree program offered at the Dixon University Center:
- Undergraduate students must have completed 12 credits in that program of study.
- Graduate students must have completed six credits in that program of study.
- Responsible for own tuition payment. Persons receiving 50% or more tuition assistance that do not require repayment, such as grants, other scholarships and employer funds, are not eligible for this award.
- Maintenance of an acceptable grade point average.
- Undergraduate students must have a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Graduate students must have a minimum 3.5 GPA
- Completed application form including essay portion of the application. (You will receive an email confirmation for electronically submitted applications.)
- Two reference forms from individuals other than family.
- Official college transcript - send a sealed copy of you official transcript via mail to:
Dixon University Center
Attn: Katie Riley
2986 North Second Street
Harrisburg, PA 17110
Basis of Award:
After establishment of eligibility, a committee of the Board will review all applicants and make awards based upon their determination of students’ financial needs and likely contribution to the Capital Region community.
- Fall Awards (two $1,000 scholarships)
Scholarship application must be received by November 15 for classes held August through December of the current year.
- Spring Awards (two $1,000 scholarships)
Scholarship application must be received by April 15 for classes held January through May of the current year.
- Summer Awards (one $1,000 scholarship)
Scholarship application must be received by August 1 for classes held May through August of the current year.
Two reference forms are required from individuals other than family. One reference should come from either a current supervisor or college/university professor. Please forward this link for completion and submission.
Continuing Education Manager
Dixon University Center
Scholarship recipients will be notified by email and by mail.